**For my most up-to-date happenings, check out my Tumblr page: sararaasch.tumblr.com.**

Thursday, December 4, 2008

November 12

Wednesday, Nov 12, 2008

I got link-happy with this blog post.

Whilst I've decided that NaNoWriMo is "more like a guideline anyway" (paraphrased from Pirates of the Caribbean), I'm enjoying all the time I freed up in my schedule to work on Stream Pirates even if I'm not actually using that time to work on Stream Pirates. For instance, I bought this hat over the weekend and am now complete as a human being. I also confirmed the fact that I have no future as a virtual golfer. But this we already knew.

Anyway, I started writing this blog to accomplish more than a list of what I did instead of write this week. I started this particular post in honor of the man who inspired my character of Cameron in Blind (sample here): Cameron Duncan. Today is the fifth anniversary of the day he lost his battle with osteosarcoma. If you don't know anything about him, he was an incredibly talented film director from New Zealand. A few of the videos he directed/acted in are viewable on YouTube here and here. There is also a bio video on him in the extras of the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King extended DVD edition. The whole DVD set is worth buying just for that bio video. This man was amazingly strong, talented, funny. It was an honor to model my Cameron after him and get to know Cameron Duncan in the process (and by "get to know" I mean watch the LOTR DVD bio video enough times to have it memorized).

Here's to you, Cam. Know you are most certainly not forgotten, and your inspiration lives on in more ways than you know.

I try to keep him in mind when I choose to put off writing (again). This life and these opportunities are quite fleeting and precious. So though I absolutely adore my ivory felt cloche hat from Target, I think this weekend I may choose to stay home instead of shop. Because no matter how many adorable hats I find, in the end I will be most in love with Stream Pirates and will get the most joy from seeing it shine.

Wow, deep stuff today. Here's something random and German to lighten the mood.

No comments: