**For my most up-to-date happenings, check out my Tumblr page: sararaasch.tumblr.com.**

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Problem SOLVED


The answers to yesterday's questions made me all kinds of giggly. Especially how many people admitted to being pirate fans, considering how dangerous it is to admit to being a pirate fan. Ninjas are not enemies you want. I appreciate your bravery.

I have something uber-special to share with you all today. See, there's been a problem cavorting through the writing world. Or my writing world, at least. See (I start too many sentences with "See." But as long as I recognize this problem, it's okay), I like listening to music while I write. But most of the time, no matter how FREAKISHLY AWESOME a song is in regards to whatever scene I'm writing, the lyrics always get tangled with the story words in my head and neither can get out of my fingers because there's just this big, infected knot of word jumble lodged in my arteries. Sounds healthy, yes? Not really. It's a difficult medical condition to treat.

BUT I HAVE A METHOD OF PREVENTION. And I am stupidly excited about this method of prevention.

It is called: The Vitamin String Quartet.

See? It even SOUNDS healthy. Vitamin. Yum.

This GODSEND of a group takes modern songs (such as U2's "With or Without You" and Coldplay's "Viva la Vida" and on and on) and turns them into INSTRUMENTAL ARRANGEMENTS. And they are BRILLIANT.

DO MY CAPITALIZED LETTERS SHOW MY LOVE OF THEM ENOUGH YET?

But don't take my CAPITALIZED LETTERS at their word. See for yourself.

This first one is my favorite. Absolute favorite. I don't even really like the original song, but this version makes me all teary. Not to mention someone took this amazing song and put it to a video about Gemma and Kartik (spoilers if you haven't read the books. And if you haven't read the books, shame on you! Go read them! Now!). Just hearing the names "Gemma and Kartik" makes me sniffle.

"With or Without You"


For all you Coldplayers: "Viva la Vida"


Linkin Park's "What I've Done"


The list goes on and on. And on. And on. If there's a song you're particularly hoping they've converted to instrumental, google it. I'm sure the Vitamin String Quartet has done it. Because they're amazing, and I love them.

So protect your arteries from being clogged with infected, knotted word jumble, and start listening to the Vitamin String Quartet. You'll be glad you did. I am.

10 comments:

Karilynnlove said...

I absolutely adore Vitamin String Quartet!! They have done tons and tons of songs! Viva la Vida is one of my favs!

Also, thanks for joining CAS! I posted a link to your blog on the right sidebar!

Shannon Messenger said...

I love the Vitamin String Quartet! They have some awesome versions on Paramore that I love to listen too when I write. I don't get the lyrics tangled up in my prose, but it'll throw the tone of my scenes off if the lyrics don't match what I'm working on. I used to solve the problem with ALL kinds of playlists for every mood/tone I could think of, but then I realized, um, what am I doing? Now I switch off between my playlists and instrumentals, so I won't get tired of anything.

Thanks for sharing!

P.S. I start sentences with the word "see" too much too. My husband has also officially banned me from using the word "Seriously." Not that I really listen to him, but he's kinda right. It's a tad out of control. :)

CKHB said...

How did I miss yesterday's questions?! Pirate! No outline, but I'm thinking of giving outlining a try! I don't fight them off, I get them to help run the ice cream truck! Yes, with my designated cheesy-movie-buddy! Branding! Not sure, but someone with magic or an airplane to get us home again!

I will have to investigate the VSQ, since I already like Apocalyptica, which plays all-cello versions of Metallica songs.

Natalie Whipple said...

Ooo, thanks for the tip. Very cool.

Mariah Irvin said...

Kartik! *sob*

I'm still inconsolable when it comes to that book.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I like it! Thanks for posting these!

Renee Collins said...

How have I never heard of this group?! It's like, totally my style! I play the cello (little known fact,) and I absolutely adore the sounds of a string quartet.

Dude, I have a new YouTube quest! Thanks Sara!

lisa and laura said...

This might be the perfect writing music. SO pumped.

And sigh...Gemma and Kartik. I get a little tear just reading their names.

Hayley Lovell said...

I love the Vitamin String Quartet. And wish I could watch the Gemma/Kartik vid but my volume is broken...*tear* I'll fix it and get back to it!

Anonymous said...

Oh and I am now obsessed with Vitamin String Quartet. I keep finding AWESOME songs.

One of my favorite has to be their rendition of Dare You to Move by Switchfoot. EPIC. :)