**For my most up-to-date happenings, check out my Tumblr page: sararaasch.tumblr.com.**

Monday, November 30, 2009

A's Part Dos


I knew there was something I'd forgotten last post. I blame it on the holiday frazzleness.

The lovely Shannon Messenger and Frankie Mallis both gifted me with blog awards! Good heavens, all this love is going to go straight to my head. I might start thinking people like me or something. You all know how that goes. First the delusions of grandeur, then the delusion-inspired plots of world domination. I'm thinking of starting in Ireland, working my way south, then turning the entire world into a pirate-themed amusement park. All in favor say ARGH!

But seriously, thanks, Shannon and Frankie. Awards make me happy :)

On with the rest of the A's to your Q's!

From KM Walton: Who would be your ideal guy & why?
There are a number of ways I could answer this question. I will choose the most writerly by describing my ideal guy in terms of literary characters. So, my ideal guy would have Kartik's loyalty (Gemma Doyle Trilogy), Sam's romance (Shiver), Nate's sweetness (Eyes Like Stars), Oscar's selflessness (Candor), and Justin's devotion (Dark Moon Defender -- I know most people haven't heard of this book, as it's fantasy not YA, but you should read it. The entire series, actually. A.Maz.Ing). Also, I have been going through a romance song obsession, so my ideal guy would also see the world like this and this. Everyone together now: awww.

From Natalie: Why are you so awesome?

I have one more chromosome than most people. They call it the awesome chromosome. There is no cure.

Also, what's the funniest thing that's ever happened to you?

Oh gosh. I am absolutely horrible at remembering specific instances when people ask questions like this. I'm sure I'll come up with something in a few days, but right now my mind is blank. I can tell you a joke though. Jokes are funny.

Q: What's black and white and black and white and black and white?
A: A penguin rolling down a hill.

Q: What's black and white and laughing?
A: The penguin that pushed him.

Let that joke sink in. I laughed for a good five minutes.

From Candice: Why are Columbus and Cincinnati awesome and Dayton... well Dayton is just sort of not awesome. Am I missing something here as a new Dayton resident?

Firstly, you're in Dayton now? Yay! Another easternly writer person! I foresee a get-together in our future. But you're right. Dayton is sort of not awesome. Though, since the city I live in is the epitomy of OHMYGODBORING, Dayton often seems far more awesome to me than it is. But when compared with Cincy or C-bus, it is very dull. It has a Barnes and Noble though! And Tropical Smoothie! Tropical Smoothie alone is reason to love Dayton. I swear they put crack in their smoothies. Addictive.

From VS: Why pirates?

There's something about the age of pirates that's very poetic to me. They were some of the last real explorers. In their time, the world was all but discovered; the "blank edges of the map" were all but filled in (just watched POTC 2. Sorry). They clung to the last bit of magic the world had in defying the "discovered" world and pursuing the undiscovered, the parts of the world that people still did not want to traverse. I'm a big advocate of clinging to magic. Too often does it get squished in the name of advancement.

From Adam: This question has been bothering me since I was little. Maybe you can help. Whose bright idea was it to put "Kansas" right next to "Arkansas" and then pronounce the two completely differently? (note to readers: I'm aware they are not strictly "right next" to each other, but as a child growing up in California, they might as well have been)

Dude. I never realized that! Wow. You're totally right though; that is horrifically annoying. Gotta love the English language, eh?

From Mariah: Have you ever seen the old show WKRP Chicago? There's a guy on there (Travis) that look's like that he could be Phillip Winchester's father. And there is feathered hair.

I have not seen that show, but I have now spent a good half hour googling it. Anyone who looks like Philip Winchester is good in my book.

From Shannon: Did you know that Jake Gyllenhaal was Billy Crystal's son in City Slickers, and can you believe such incredible hotness came from such a geeky looking kid?

I did realize that! It was on TV awhile ago and seeing little Jakey made me chuckle. How does that happen, exactly? All these dorky little kids grow up to melt movie screens. Not that I'm complaining. If being a dorky little kid helps them be hot, by all means, may they continue to be dorky.

11 comments:

Courtney Barr - The Southern Princess said...

Hey Sara! Loved the Q & A's!
I wanted to let you know that I love stopping by your blog!
I laughed when I read this entry because I too wanted to pass along a blog award. Frankie & Shannon are great aren't they? I have truly enjoyed 'meeting' them.
Anyway, thank you for such a great site. I am always glad to see my blogroll update & you have a new entry!

have a wonderful Monday!!!

Anonymous said...

One thing Dayton does have on Cincy and Columbus--*slightly* less headache inducing traffic. Every single time I go through Columbus and Cincy I want to rip my hair out :P Especially travelling through Columbus over Thanksgiving...what a nightmare!

Nice to know there are more writers in the area though! That's what makes Dayton awesome!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I am cracking up! :)

I hopped over from Southern Princess. It seems I've been missing all the fun - guess it's time I join the group! :)
www.shannonkodonnell.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

LOL-ing at penguin jokes. Good stuff.

Renee Collins said...

Great Q&A! These are always so fun. :)

I love your reason for picking pirates. So true! The world needs more magic! Hold on to the magic, people!

Candice said...

May I leave a joke of my own? Okay...

Why did the Monkey fall out of the tree?
Because it was dead.

Why did the squirrel fall out of the tree?
Because it was stapled to the monkey.

Yes, those are the kind of jokes I like. Do you still see a get together in our future? :) I wish I had thought to contact you when Kasie was here because then you could have hung out with us!! But seriously, I have no obligations outside of mommyhood, so I'm always game for lunch or whatever.

lisa and laura said...

Congrats on the award lady. Now I'm going to spend the rest of my night googling Jake Gyllenhal in City Slickers. Good times.

Shannon Messenger said...

And another hilarious post--all the more reason to love your blog. :)

And I'm sorry, I have to take exception to your town being the epitomy of OHMYGODBORING. I live in suburban southern California. The Inland Empire. Or as my friends call it, "Land of the Dirt People." As in, there's absolutely nothing to do here, but oh look, dirt! I'll drive my dirt bike/quad/jeep/honda civic around on it because well, what else am I going to do with my time? If that doesn't win it HAS to at least tie. :)

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

Ummm so I did it again!
http://firstnovelsclub.blogspot.com/2009/12/blog-awards-and-come-along-contest.html

Carrie Harris said...

We must have an Easterly Writer Type Person meeting. With cookies. And maybe a sekrit handshake, because that would be kewl.

Oh, and my ideal guy IS Justin. I read Dark Moon Defender and was actually jealous. Pitiful, but true.

Unknown said...

In theme with the award, I have something for you over at my blog.

http://gaelwynne.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-first-award-in-history-of-ever.html