**For my most up-to-date happenings, check out my Tumblr page: sararaasch.tumblr.com.**

Monday, September 28, 2009

And I didn't even know it


There's this movie franchise, see. And it's been known to be a big deal. I'll give ya some hints.

Hint 1: Pirates.

Hint 2: Johnny Depp.

If you haven't guessed it yet...um...stop reading my blog and go watch some Johnny Depp movies. Now.

Anyway, because the most recent POTC movie was an overnight blockbuster smash hit (*coughsarcasmcough*), Disney in all its brilliant suck-the-life-out-of-everything-that-even-remotely-makes-money mindset has decided to make a fourth POTC. Yup. Yay, more Johnny, but at the same time...just say no, Disney. Just stop while you're ahead.

The news of the next installment in the series-that-started-as-a-stand-alone-but-got-twisted-and-pulled-into-a-series-because-it-was-popular is slowly leaking out into the depths of Internetland. Along with the leakage came this article over at the blog Film Is A Harsh Mistress that discusses the ups and downs of the Pirate-Fantasy genre.

--wait. What? A Pirate-Fantasy GENRE?

Dude.

All this time, I've been calling Stream Pirate simply YA fantasy. I thought pirates were just grouped into the same column as wizards and fairies. I never once suspected that my beloved swashbuckling stream pirates had their OWN GENRE.

But there it is. All official-looking (or as official as something on someone's blog can be). Pirate-Fantasy.

Three words: NEW. FAVORITE. GENRE.

Book review to come in which I resume my usual picky nature. Muahahaha.

9 comments:

lisa and laura said...

OMG. You've invented a genre. Love it.

And you really should start taking credit for the genre itself. I mean, Pirates of the Caribbean was great, but Sream Pirate is a whole different ballgame.

Renee Collins said...

Yay, pirate fantasy! I was a devoted fan of the Monkey Island series. That game rocked hard.

As for the movie news, my first reaction is another one? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the franhise, and an even bigger fan of Johnny Depp *chorus of angels sing at the thought of his gorgeousness*
I'm just hoping this new one's better than At World's End. Can it be? Pretty please?

Natalie Whipple said...

Sigh, yes, the sequel syndrome. Disney NEVER quits while they're ahead. I've not even seen the 3rd movie...I just knew the life had already been sucked out.

Also, did I tell you I had an idea for a pirate fantasy? I do.

Unknown said...

Pirate-Fantasy?! That is made of win.

And that makes me consider using my pirate-fantasy novel idea for my nanowrimo project. Hmmm... It will involve some heavy plotting and outlining, but hey, I have a whole month...

Let's make pirates the new vampires! Swash buckling is way cooler than blood sucking anyway.

Wyman Stewart said...

Errol Flynn and Douglas Fairbanks may deserve credit for starting the Pirate Genre, movie-wise. However, I am always reminded when seeing the name Johnny Depp, we may have passed each other in the grocery store, when he was a mere baby in diapers. We once lived in the same small Kentucky city; before we both moved to Florida. Okay, he moved to a sunnier, more touresty part of Florida. Still, the irony that we have two things in common amuses me.

I should add, I've never seen a Johnny Depp movie, but I hear he's a pretty brilliant, dedicated actor. I have no plans to marry and settle in Paris, France, as Johnny Depp has done. So, there our commonalities end. :-) Maybe I can write something he can star in someday. Nice way to meet him, don't you think? Uh, must you rush off to write your own Depp novel? Hey, that was my idea!

Captain Peg Leg Hook; yeah, that should sell a million! I'm sure Johnny will like it.

Sara Raasch said...

L&L -- I jokingly called Stream Pirate "geomythology" because of its geology and mythology elements combined. I'll take credit for that genre ;)

Renee -- I very much doubt POTC: OST will be better than POTC: AWE. Though, I don't think Will/Elizabeth will be in the new one, so there will be less chance for REALLY confusing who's-betraying-who plotlines. Hm. Maybe...

Natalie -- You've got a pirate fantasy idea?? You must tell me!

Kat -- "Let's make pirates the new vampires! Swash buckling is way cooler than blood sucking anyway."

DUDE LET'S DO IT! I'm so on board!

Wyman -- I would be a-okay with with Johnny wanting to star in a movie version of my book. Mhm. A-okay with that indeed...mmmm

Unknown said...

YES I AM IN! Now would so be the perfect time to bring pirates to the top! The new POTC comes out Summer 2011, which would work out perfectly with the publishing time line if I write my pirate-fantasy idea for NaNo :)

Continuing with the publishing trend predictions, that's prob around the time the horror that is Breaking Dawn the movie will be released, and if the vampire genre isn't dead by then, that will surely do it.

Sarah Wylie said...

I can't bring myself to complain about anything that brings the world more Johnny Depp.

Pirate-fantasy, though? Ingenious. I'd trademark that.

Sara Raasch said...

Kat -- "Continuing with the publishing trend predictions, that's prob around the time the horror that is Breaking Dawn the movie will be released, and if the vampire genre isn't dead by then, that will surely do it."

Isn't the vampire genre already dead? I mean, um, they're VAMPIRES...so they're dead...(trying to be funny. Failed.)

Sarah -- True. More Johnny is always a good thing!