**For my most up-to-date happenings, check out my Tumblr page: sararaasch.tumblr.com.**

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Ask and You Shall Receive...


...answers to your questions! Woot woot! Ya'll came up with some good ones!

Via Lisa and Laura:

We want to know how you managed to start writing at such a young age? Didn't you finish your first book when you were 14 or something ridiculous like that? I think at 14 I was overwhelmed at the thought of writing a 2-page paper much less an entire novel.

I did start writing my first novel quite young, at the ripe ol' age of 12 (wow, that was like -- 8 years ago *insert scared, holy-crap-I'm-getting-old face*). The story and characters were so much a part of who I was through preteen and teen years that I can't think of my life back then without thinking of that story. It grew as I grew. I think I started writing so young because it was my way of dealing with the stresses of adolescences; I needed to watch something change and grow as I changed and grew. That story eventually morphed into the trilogy which I now fondly refer to as my "practice novel." I love that story immensely and hope to one day go back and re-do it, but for now it lays peacefully in a Word doc. It will always have a special place in my writing-world.

Ooh, and who would play Alluvial in a movie? We always pictured Natalie Portman.

I always saw Bethany Joy Galeotti in my head, though I do like Natalie Portman as Lu. And just because he's mind-bogglingly drool-worthy, I always saw Philip Winchester as Yazoo. (If you follow one link on this post, follow that one. Mmm Philip. Mmm, mmm, mmmmmmm)

Via Mariah Irvin:

Where do you get book ideas?

One of my dorkiest secrets is that Stream Pirate was inspired by a geology night class. All of the main characters are named after geology terms, and the entire world is based on river systems and sediment deposits. Be cool, stay in school -- you never know what might inspire you!

How much do you like the color pink?

Despite my blog's appearance, pink is actually not one of my favorite colors. I'm much more of a red girl. My desk is red, one of the walls in my room is red. I bleed red. (That was a little gruesome...but it was funny in my head, I promise.)

Who inspires you?

Ooo, toughy. Hm, well, I'm usually inspired by the underdogs, the overcome-immense-obstacle stories. For instance, there's a show on *I forget what channel* called I Shouldn't Be Alive. Talk about inspiring. One couple with their infant son survived 6(ish) days in the frozen northern wilderness without proper clothes, food, water, anything. Seeing stories like makes life look a lot less daunting.

Where is your favorite place to shop?

Funny you should ask, seeing as I just got back from spending all day shopping: New York and Company. I love it because their rewards points program is actually worth it -- I got a coupon for $25 off a $75 purchase. Yeah, baby.

Via Nick:

Did you eat the peep after you took that photo?

Considering that peep is both a pillow and my sister's, no, I did not eat it. Sad.

Via Kat:

And wow, your school doesn't start for two more weeks?

My school is on the quarter system. I <3 the quarter system.

What's your favorite cartoon?

My favorite cartoon movie is Beauty and the Beast. My favorite cartoon TV show is Rugrats. And not the Rugrats: All Growed Up; the original ones. Ah, fond memories...

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

*insert break to count* 21. Though I don't wear most of them. My knee-high leather boots were really just an impulse purchase.

Will you clone Pippa for me?

*insert really creative Photo-Shop picture of two Pippa's* But I don't have Photo-Shop. So I can't clone Pippa. Though, if it's any consolation, she was next to me while I was writing this until she started eating my laptop/hands.

Via KM Walton:

I'd like to know your favorite book. That's a hard one, I know. But, I want you to do it. Only one. And then, why is it your favorite book.

Actually, that's an easy one for me, seeing as I like so few books. My favorite book is The Sweet, Far Thing by Libba Bray. Dear heavens above, that book/trilogy was brilliant. The characters, the story, the world -- just brilliant. TSFT also had by far the best romance scene I've ever read, and it didn't hurt that the love interest had olive skin. And we all know how I feel about olive skin boys. Mmm.

Oh, one more, when you were really little, what did you want to be when you grew up? I wanted to be an opera singer. For real.

I wanted to be a veterinarian by day, a cheerleader by night. I have since learned that I am inordinately queasy and have no rhythm whatsoever.

Via Natalie:

Minus New Zealand, where else would you want to travel that you've never been before?

England. I love me some British stuffs.

If you could only read one author's books for the rest of your life, who would it be?

Ooo this one is tough. Hmm. I'd have to say Sharon Shinn, only because she's never disappointed me. Second place would be Libba Bray.

Via ChristaCarol:

What feeds your muse?

Anything I'm not allergic to. I can't afford to be picky, and neither can my muse.

If you ate the peep, did you get sick afterward? (wait, maybe we don't want to know that)

I did not eat the peep, though I'm guessing I would've had serious negative reactions to eating a peep that large. Even thinking about it makes me a little unsteady...

Thanks so much, guys! I should do this more often. I like being interviewed. Tis great fun :)

6 comments:

Natalie Whipple said...

You're cute. Also, I started writing my first novel-sized book around 12/13! Yeah, we're awesome like that.

Mariah Irvin said...

I started writing my first book when I was 12 too! It never got finished, but I still think of it fondly and occasionally look through the composition notebook I wrote it in.

Right now my favorite place to shop is Anthropologie, although I'm too poor to actually buy anything. *sigh*

Renee Collins said...

he he, I love these Q&A posts you guys do. :)

I wrote my first novel at age 9. And I literally wrote it, in a composition book: 40 pages, complete with illustrations. It was an American Girl novel about a young Hawaiian girl during the annexation. I still have it, and honestly, it's not total crap! Makes me all proud of my cute, little nine-year-old self.

lisa and laura said...

Man, that guy is hot. I totally approve him as Yazoo.

K. M. Walton said...

That is awesome that you wrote your first novel at 12! Go You!

Sara Raasch said...

Ren: I was uber inspired by the American Girl dolls too! Felicity was my obsession, and I was secretly in love with Ben until I was 13 (okay...I might still be secretly in love with Ben). All of my early stories were based on the Revolutionary War. Hand-written with covers drawn by me. Awesome stuff. I think I might have put one onto Word somewhere...hm...if I can find it...

L&L: Yes, Philip Winchester is the epitome of hot. Mmmm.